The Dark Arts
tea cup

Grade Me: Colouring

Concerned about your colouring? Or maybe you just want to try something new and get some feedback? Simply post your work here and a staff moderator will give you some feedback! Feel free to post as much and as often as you'd like in here!

lcuw6yG.png

OGBUlDt.png

decided to experiment with my coloring today and i'm not too sure about the outcome!! would love some general feedback esp about the second set bc it's a very soft/pastel coloring method but might be too soft. i know the text is kinda iffy :P thank you to anyone who responds ^_^

MOD EDIT:

icons - A - need i say more :P the colouring is nice and (mostly) natural and it brings out the best in the images used ;)

mixtape/chapter images - B+ - the pastel tones are beautiful but overall i think all of the graphics could use a bit more contrast ^_^

Edited by starbuck.

bIy9RkC.png

it just feels like there's sooooo mucccch red in this?? it was an experimental thing to begin with

MOD EDIT:

B - i think that the red is actually very nice, it ties up the CI together, on the other hand i feel like the top right part of the CI is a bit too white? and the lighting on her hair is a tiny little bit distracting (but that's probably because of the original image)

Edited by starbuck.

Guest apsara.

apX2Iob.jpg

3WoAbOE.jpg

MOD EDIT:

C+ - i like how colourful it is, but at the same time i feel it needs a tiny little bit more cohesiveness (like, different parts of graphics have totally different dominant colours, and that's fine, but it'd be great if it were spread out evenly across the graphic - re: this the second sig is, in my opinion, better than the first one, yellow and purple are interspersed, while the first one has lots of different colours but just in some places - green here, blue there, yellow there and so on...)

Edited by starbuck.

AzeBK2X.jpg

MOD EDIT:

B+ - the softness and the pastel colours are lovely and also the mix between mono and colour, but in my opinion, a bit more contrast wouldn't hurt (just a bit though!)

Edited by starbuck.

2ni1ztg.jpg

1zr26u0.jpg

10xt304.jpg

MOD EDIT:

B - in general it's a B (for the banners), i'd say a C for the signature - the banners have a very nice balance between colours, the second one is very natural looking with the nice green accent to it, while the first one is a lovely combination of yellow&mono which i think works very well for the mood...with the sig i feel the colouring is a bit too murky and green/cyan :/

Thanks Kristina :D

Edited by Artemesia

Guest Icarus.

cdgXrIT.png

MOD EDIT:

B - i like how there are all these different colours and they work nicely together, but i feel it could use more contrast ;)

Edited by starbuck.

fnut8n.jpg Edited by dust & decay
B: Nice work giving it a bright and ethereal feel. Watch out for over-saturation on faces, especially on Martin in the bottom-left.

Thanks Mini :D I read the tips and tricks thread, now I think I might be able to do something

ehzw5h.jpg
2rm4ke0.jpg

MOD EDIT:

B I think you have a nice sense of balance in the light/dark of both pieces, and the light on the girl's face is quite nice. But the darker tones are a bit heavy, especially on the CI. You've also got a little unevenness on the left side of the sig, on the girl's cheek, where there's almost a line between grey and yellow tones. (that might be fixed by toning down filtering a bit).

Edited by Glow

Thank you :D

2hcpabd.jpg

Edited by dust & decay
B -- You're on a really good start here. Just watch out for oversaturation on the face and loss of image quality (especially on 4th and 6th icons).

Guest apsara.

s2vQ871.png

Edited by dust & decay
A- -- Really nice! You've done a great job at bringing out natural tones. Watch out for oversaturation in a few places (on her palm, neck), and watch out for loss of image quality due to filtering.

Guest Icarus.

rfSt0J6.png

rB7xYK9.png

Edited by dust & decay
B -- good start! B&W is a great challenge to tackle. Watch for over contrasting (eg. in first, third icons and in banner). Make sure you have a balance of midtones, shadows, and highlights. Banner esp is too heavily dark, and the smaller person is

fX0LZ7i.png

YoohWPD.png

Edited by dust & decay
B -- Both banners I think are too heavily one color -- first banner is predominantly red, the second blue. As a result, the coloring seems "unfinished." First banner is getting over-contrasted, I think because the man is too shadowed compared to

coffins_zpsnihcvgnb.png

tears_zpsrdafkng8.png

Edited by dust & decay
A for sig, B+ for banner. Sig is excellent! To nitpick, maybe up the contrast on leaves a tiny bit. Second banner is too "heavy," ie. there's a lot of contrast b/w whites of background and black of edges. Lightening up the black on the e

A9qvGT4.png

Edited by dust & decay
A - really interesting coloring! Smaller image of Karen needs a smidge more contrast though in her hair -- face is bright enough I think.

mUsbyVu.png

awKOvHy.png

mod edit:

B for both - on the chapter image the colouring is a bit murky and the whites a bit too cyan, on the header the colouring on the left and right sides isn't cohesive - on the left it's purple with that big white space at the top while on the right it's more golden - both are lovely but it would be better if it were a bit more cohesive ;)

Edited by starbuck.