The Dark Arts
star crossed

Forever Fallen

y5AZIFg.png

gorgeous header set made by the wonderful Ess/heartfelt.

merSvFh.png

JU25ln3.png9txZTvl.png

nsrx3AQ.png

uLAKXvA.png

CsIM3Si.png

gYCPw63.png

bVHWqoB.png

**full uc entry aug '17**

Kl9Rkl1.png

BS0N5d1.png

OTdjExN.png

UsiSsz0.png

V73zPcR.png

vC6Bxii.png

hBNAk2r.png

Jul5DXE.png

XGsQ3gh.png

lRbxX4R.png

MXBifz1.png v12MEfi.png

7fJgWZi.png I4u8eRv.png

Kj5QwZT.png

YmxJNzw.png

xhH81r2.png

zz9KnV0.png

TMV0gQV.png

bU041xZ.png JnUJx3d.png vi9u499.png

^^click for full version^^

1st Place:

August DA Digest {entry} The Crazy Random Pixel Challenge {entry} The Coffee-Related Challenge {entry}

2nd Place

Return of the Bowdown Challenge {entry} The One Hit Wonder Challenge {entry} Take A Photo Challenge {entry}

The Minimalist Poster Challenge {entry} The Historical Challenge {entry}

The Describe Yourself Challenge {entry} The Halloween Costume Challenge {entry} The Album Icon Challenge {entry}

3rd Place

The July DA Digest Header {entry} The Model-less Icon Challenge {entry} The Faceless Challenge v.2 {entry} The HPFF Story Challenge {entry}

The ABC Model Challenge {entry}

I08Sr2N.png

Promo-Aug-2019-Master.pngrv7tN3a.png

4Nvk5XV.png2rrvs5f.jpg

7cYueq1.pngs88KOai.png

w1blkg5.pngiMLA1D3s.pngMrYGEdB.pngqw7KyLd.pngTu3yZEG.pngzraeNBg.png

page thirteen (best senior artist, most helpful member) II golden. (master artist) II miss atomic bomb (grad artist) II Forgotten Face (senior artist) II Contour (junior artist) II satellite (aug '16/Sept '16/June '17/July '17) II heartfelt II After Midnight

II wildest dreams II klutzy_klara II starbuck II styles II endlessly (best challenge)

Full Credit List Here+

Edited by star crossed

yay my spottt

omg Grace your gallery is beautiful!!! I am in love with your

Caroline banner - what is that colouring? And composition?

IT'S GORGEOUS!! :loves:

And the colouring of your first and second sig? Perfect! I also

love the effect of the first - it looks like a painting! The filtering

is great! I won't even start with your black & white CIs! They

are flawless. I really adore them! Same goes for your book/

movie covers! The Mockingjay one :drop:

Give me some of your skills please!? You are wonderful.

Can't wait to see more of you <3

Love, Sally

Edited by atë!

second :sean:

welcome back, Grace! i'm Alison =)

you have beautiful stuff here. your composition is so soft and lovely. i especially love your banners. this+ ci is absolutely stunning. i love the soft blending and the way you've added the textures. it looks so natural. i also really like this+ sig. the composition is great and i love how you did the text. i can never pull of text that's front and center like that!

can't wait to see what else you add when you update! :)

<3 alison

Third!

Hi Grace, I'm Ronnie. :hiwave: (Lovely name, by the way. Grace is also my middle name, so naturally I'm pretty fond of it. :love:)

Welcome back! You have so many beautiful things in here. I especially love your colouring and your use of textures, but especially in +this chapter image. I also really like +this signature and +this banner (again with the colouring :wub:).

Also, your composition is really solid across the board, but especially in your banners. I love how you seamlessly mixed and matched stock and textures in +this one. :dumbles:

I look forward to all the new things you plan on adding to your gallery! :loves:

--Ronnie.

Edited by red herring

Hi Grace!

First of all I LOVE your gallery! It's got a great layout and isn't overwhelmingly full.

Your Hunger Games Graphics... All the feels... LOVE. Especially this one right here. There is something so sweet about The Boy with the Bread and I love that you brought it to life in graphic form! :)

This CI... Oh MY! You captured a moment that all of us can relate to and that in itself is difficult to do when making a graphic. I really like the graphics that connect us with memories or moments that we know won't leave us, but always speak to us... this is that graphic.

Banners are difficult to make, but this one is completely flawless. It's clean cut, vivid and captures the eye so easily.

I look forward to seeing what else you create! :) Until then, keep up the wonderful work!

Thanks everyone for stopping by, and for all of your lovely comments. They really made my day. Sorry for the late reply for most of you, I took a longer break than anticipated but I am so happy to be back. :loves::loves:

Hi Grace!

I've been seeing you around lately, so I thought I'd drop by and leave your gallery a bit of love! :)

On my first look through your gallery, I noticed immediately just how beautiful and high quality everything is. Nothing really looks out of place. Your graphics all have this lovely softness too them, even ones that are in brighter, more vibrant colors, which I find so terribly tricky to accomplish. Just overall, really consistently good.

Taking a little more time and going section by section, here are my thoughts.

Banners: Your banners are all so lovely! I had a really hard time picking a favorite, but I think I've finally decided that I like this the best. I adore the picture you chose of Hermione sleeping on the piles of paperwork and I thought the overall composition and coloring on that banner was beautiful.

Signatures: I spotted my favorite right away in this area. I love this . I have such a soft spot for the boy with the bread and you captured it all so perfectly. The colors were so nicely done and the touches of lighting that you added really enhanced it.

CIs: I adore this because of the super strong, vibrant coloring. The way you pulled out the purples and blues is phenomenal. I also really liked the Freddie Mercury CI. Excellent work with an older image. I know how hard that can be.

Icons: Normally, I tend to go for brightly colored things, but these icons are really strong. In fact, I think your overall ability when working in Black & white is really good. Everything that is in grey is just beautiful.

Other: This is so good. You really did a great job of capturing the feel of the movie, but keeping the poster really simple and clean. Great job!

When I leave any sort of feedback whether it be reviews on stories or gallery comments, I always try to leave just a tiny bit of crit if I can, so here it goes. I think the only thing that I really noticed that I could give a bit of crit on was this sig. To me it looks like maybe the images of Hermione got a little bit blurry (maybe from re-sizing?) and that Draco is a bit over-sharp? I also think the skin tones are maybe a little bit off. The background is really lovely and the bright colors really pop, but in my opinion, the main images could perhaps do with a little tweaking.

That being said, I'm just stunned by how lovely everything here is and I'll certainly be back occasionally to check out the new beautiful things you add. Really great work!

:hug:

~Kaitlin

HI GRACE! :)

After an initial quick glance at your gallery, I've concluded 2 things:

1. Your stock use is INCREDIBLE.

2. YOU are incredible. :D

My favorite type of graphics in your gallery would probably be your banners, especially the 'Defying Gravity' one! That Les Miz signature is so gorgeous too though! Your coloring makes me sob. *-*

Dudeee your icons though. How have you prefected icon composition??!!

That Martian poster is soooo cool! How did you make it I cannot even imagine. *-*

Also, I love how most of your graphics have that star texture. I use that texture a lot too :silly:

I looove your graphics and I can't wait to see more in PYLC because they make me happy! ;)

sorry I haven't replied before (I'm useless :P) but thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and comment (: Kaitlin you are so lovely and thanks for all of your kind words and crit.

And thank you Charlotte, it's true that star texture was the love of my life once haha! I'm trying to get some variety in my graphics now so hopefully we'll see less of it :D and my icons?? Your icons are gorgeous!

Thanks again guys <3

Hey Grace! Cat here with your requested crit ^_^

- comp -

Banner comp is the best (as a whole I think banners are your strongest section)- you have a lot going on but still generally a clear focal point. Exception would be +the Cinderella banner- the Ella toward the right stands out more than the one in the center- sharper, and we see her whole face, and the light texture sets her apart, but the text is splitting focus from her. Comp on your other graphics is rather repetitive- all of the Harry Potter icons are very similar (in character size + placement), and on the sigs and CIs, everything is very centered. Definitely try to experiment more with image placement, especially people. Also, on +this blend, you’re missing a strong focal point- the text, both Snapes, and the clock are all fighting for attention.

- text -

You’ve got pretty similar text placement across the board. On your banners, the text is slanted the same way, and always along the bottom of the canvas; on the sigs and CIs, text is again at the bottom, and usually centered. So definitely experiment more with text placement. Text could also be incorporated more into the graphic- like on +this banner, how the text lines up with his shoulder, or on +this sig, with the model sitting on the text. Generally, you could go a bit bolder with text- both in size and color. Your font choices are usually pretty good- match the mood of the graphic well, in a color that matches but still stands out, always legible. You also use a lot of script fonts, which works well with the old fashioned stock you use, but try branching out a bit more. Watch out for pixellated small text (+here, +here). Try not to put small text too far away from the characters/main text, particularly on banners, especially when there are decent places closer (+here, the main text could be between the people, with the quote where the title is now; +here, the quote could have gone to the right of the main model, where the bit of cloud is).

- coloring -

Watch out for the dark sections getting too flat- the bottom edges of a few banners, first and last two sigs. You’re losing a bit of detail. Try not to go too far with complementary coloring- on +this sig, her skin is super yellow, which is exaggerated up next to the purple. Same thing on +this CI. You use a lot of yellowish coloring, I’d love to see you branch out more. Your black and white graphics have great contrast, and the monochrome coloring on +this is fabulous, and I love the red on +this.

- et c. -

Generally, things are undersharpened, most noticeably +this sig, +this ci, +this blend, +this icon set. The filtering on +this CI is a bit too much, especially on the biggest Rumple’s face, also the leaves.

I usually don’t suggest a cleanout, but I did notice a few weaker/older looking pieces here that you may want to consider removing- +these icons look rather LQ, +these icons are rather busy and the fonts don’t work together that well, +this sig is undersharpened and the coloring is not your best, +this blend, the gradient on the quote is a little excessive, the reds are a bit splotchy and the background is very sharp/pixellated.

+This is my absolute favorite thing, I remember being so impressed by it in the challenge. Great use of color and gradients.

Feel free to pm if you’ve got any questions/something didn’t make sense/you disagree/just want to chat Hope this is helpful (and not too brutal)!

<3 Cat

Hi cat, thanks so much for the crit. (no it wasn't too brutal at all:))

Banners are my absolute favorite graphic to make and I guess it shows haha

I see what you mean about the comp and text placement :/ I don't even realise I'm doing it, but seeing them all together in my gallery makes it very obvious! I will do my absolute best to work on that (:
I will also work on the coloring so that things don't look flat and I'll remember to sharpen a bit more :D

Thank you again so much for taking the time to do this <3

~Grace

Hey Grace! Let me first start with a HUGE apology for taking close to a month to get this to you. I've been crazy busy over the last few weeks with some unforeseen projects, so if I miss anything at all in this crit, please please please feel absolutely free to PM me or ask for my Skype, and we can talk about everything you have questions on later. <3

First Impressions

You’re so talented! I’m absolutely loving your stock use and coloring. I think one of the things you’re particularly good at is creating depth in your canvases. You’ve got an excellent eye for that sort of thing, and so many of your graphics are super successful in that area1 You’ve got a really great gallery here!

Image Quality

As a whole, I don’t think you really have any issues with image quality, so I’m not going to spend too much time going over this. Really, the only areas I see some image quality issues in are +here and in +this signature. With the signature, you’re working with some really old screencaptures, but I really think you did an excellent job of getting as much out of these images as you can. The main image of Judy, for example, is beautiful. The issue here, for me, comes from the houses in the left side of the background. That image there’s a tad bit pixelated, but, like I said, that’s honestly to be expected working with footage as old as this, so you did an excellent job of getting a lot out of these caps, like I said before.

With the icons, the image quality issue here, for me, comes from the inconsistent sharpening. I think this icon set is absolutely gorgeous, but is lacking in some sharpening and contrast in some of the icons. What I usually like to do to make sure all of my icon sets are consistently sharpened and contrasted is to finish each icon and save it separately without any sharpening or filtering at all. When I’m all done, I’ll open up a new canvas, dump those icons onto the canvas and then filter, add contrast and sharpen. A lot of the time, I even color on that canvas. For now, if you wanted to just sharpen up some of the fuzzy icons in this set, that would eliminate any image quality issues at all in your gallery right now. Please keep in mind that what I’m going over now is very nitpicky and really is not a huge deal at all. Like I said before, I think you don’t really have any image quality issues in your gallery right now, but if you have more questions here, please let me know.

Textures

So, I’ve already talked about your amazing stock use, but I can see that you’re having some issues in the textures department, which is totally fine! I’m not very comfortable using stock at all, so that’s fine! Everyone has their own things they’re comfortable with. Unless I’m mistaken, the only place I can really see you actively using textures as the main focus of your composition in is in +this banner, but you’re clearly also mixing textures into your other graphics, which is great! I think the way you’ve incorporated stock and textures +here, +here, +here and +here is really excellent.

That first banner I linked (the b&w texture-based one) is, I think, one of the only flatter pieces in your gallery right now, and I think that’s because it’s built primarily on textures instead of mixing in heavy stock use and texture use. In creating depth, textures work differently than stock in that you usually need a lot more textures layers than stock layers. It may be unconventional, but I’ll have anywhere from 10-20 texture layers alone before I’m done making my “base” in my texture-based graphics. Textures tend to blend differently than stock, so I’m almost never blending textures together, if that makes sense? 99% of the time, I’m throwing a bunch of textures together using different blending modes, then erasing the parts I don’t want. Layering images together naturally creates depth, but textures aren’t already naturally deep images, so it’s just a bit different in that respect.

With the banner I linked to, I think you could benefit here from adding a few more b&w textures over the whole thing on different blending modes, then erasing the parts you don’t need. I’d also slap on a brightness/contrast layer and mess with those settings. If you look, your banner +here has richer blacks and whites highlights that I think your other b&w banner is lacking in.

You only listed two areas for critique, so that’s all I’m going to really address right now in detail. I just have a few more quick points to go over, and if you have any other questions, we can go over those more in-depth later. J

Focal Point

For the most part, you have a good grasp on your focal point. I just wanted to point out in a few instances where I see your text moving too far away from the main focal point, or where I see your focal point being too broad. In +this banner, I’d take that main text and move it closer between the two main models. You have a lot of dark space on the bottom of the banner there, and I think where you have that text placed now is pushing the focal point too far out away from the main focal point of the banner, which is the larger male model and the smaller female model. Likewise, in +this blend, the four elements in the foreground there (Snape, the eye, the photo, and the clock) are all a bit too spread out in my opinion. I’d find a way to identify which one of those you’d like to be the main focus, then layer everything else around that one piece. For example, you could move the largest Snape to the forefront, stick the frame halfway behind him as well as the clock, and have the whole thing shadowed by that eye in the farthest most background layer. Anything, really, to tighten up that focus just a tad would be great. But, again, this a super small detail and not necessary at all. :)

Variety

So, in taking a look through your gallery, I am seeing a tad bit of repetition in your pieces, especially in your banners. Don’t get me wrong, the compositions you have going in those four banners are very strong, but I’d like to challenge you a bit to play around with new stocks, new fonts, new model placement and new base composition. In your top two banners, the model and text is in almost the exact same place, and the second two banners utilize a lot of the same stocks. Try and push yourself to branch out here and there and experiment with new things! You’ve obviously got an excellent hold on everything you’re doing right now, but pushing yourself is never a bad thing, so don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. :)

Overall

I can’t rave enough about you and your talent honestly! I am DYING over those HP icons, oh my goodness! I really think you have such an excellent gallery and you clearly have a handle on a majority of the main fundamentals and techniques. Your stock bases are absolutely gorgeous and I am SO jealous! The only real critique I have, honestly, is just to experiment more You’re already very good at a lot of things, so take those skills and push yourself even further. I’m super excited to see what else you can come up with! <3

Hi Katlynn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this crit, I found it to be so helpful (: and for your lovely comments too :wub:

I'm glad that image quality isn't too much of a problem for me at the moment as I have been working really hard on improving that and it's great to hear that it's paying off (:
Textures are the bane of my life right now haha! I have been trying to use them more to break out of my comfort zone as stock is definitely more my thing. You're so right though, it is a completely different ball game when it comes to layering textures and also knowing when you've got enough on the canvas :/ I'll definitely keep experimenting and trying with them though (:

I know what you mean about the repetitive comp too and I'm terrible because I only notice I'm doing it when I see them all together like this! I have been trying with that too but I'll keep at it.

I'm so glad you like the HP icons although I still think your set of HP icons are the best I've ever seen! I am thinking of revamping gallery in the next month or so, so there'll be loads of new stuff hopefully (as I lost the xcf. files to most of these graphics when my laptop broke :()
I will keep in mind all of your comments when I make anything new as this has been super helpful and I'll put all those little tips to use.

Thanks again <3

~Grace

lroN20a.gif

Hey Grace!

Dropping by to leave you some holiday love on your gallery. (And to tell you I miss you and beg you to please come back soon. <3)

Okay. So you already know how much I love your work. I think your graphics always look so polished and your coloring is so good. I feel like that’s almost impossible on GIMP, so I think you must have some sort of special secret powers. If so, please share them with me. :D

One of my particular favorites is your Molly Weasley banner. The greens and reds go so well together and the soft lighting on it is lovely. You really captured exactly who Molly is.

Your signatures are possibly your strongest overall section. That Bellatrix sig and your Dorothy sig are both just gorgeous. The coloring on each one suits the graphic so well and I love that you keep pushing your comp. And the color palette on the Barbara Palvin signature is killer. I love the color gradient that you put over the text.

Hope to see you around some more in the New Year!

Wishing you the happiest of holidays and a New Year filled with all the love and joy you deserve!

~Kaitlin

Guest RéaltaCleite

Hi, Grace! How's your life recently? I hope you are doing well.

I just stopped by to say thank you for stopping by my gallery this fall before you got busy. Your kind words helped me a lot at that time.

I love wine color of each header graphic on your gallery.

And I like 'Over the Rainbow" sig, the rainbow colored text.

The both posters, the war themed one and the Martians are awesome!

Hi Grace! I'm here with your requested critique!

Your gallery has some really strong work in it, such as your banners, which I think is your strong suit. I also really like your signatures. Really stunning work! The blends and the chapter images have some strong points, but I also see a lot of inconsistency with the quality. The bottom two blends are really nice, and you have a good sense for graphic design. I love the spirit of the top blend, but I think it needs some rethinking. I'd probably make Snape bigger and the clock smaller, but I think what you need to do is to think of how the parts come together, as you do so well with your sigs and banners. What's the story and how the the pieces relate?

As for the chapter images, I like the one on the left, but the difference in image quality between the foreground and background seems jarring to me--it almost seems like two different graphics going on, with different color stories and image qualities. She's cool and dramatic and grungey in the background, but in the foreground, she's sharpened and strongly colored--I think toning down the front figure a bit so the two parts talk to each other more evenly. The one on the left has a similar problem, with a lack of cohesiveness between the foreground and background. I like the texturey drama of the background, so the very sharpened and high colored girl and text again seem jarring. If you can even the two out more, the whole graphic will be more cohesive.

I hope that helps! PM me if you have any questions!

Hi Grace! I'm here with your requested critique!

Your gallery has some really strong work in it, such as your banners, which I think is your strong suit. I also really like your signatures. Really stunning work! The blends and the chapter images have some strong points, but I also see a lot of inconsistency with the quality. The bottom two blends are really nice, and you have a good sense for graphic design. I love the spirit of the top blend, but I think it needs some rethinking. I'd probably make Snape bigger and the clock smaller, but I think what you need to do is to think of how the parts come together, as you do so well with your sigs and banners. What's the story and how the the pieces relate?

As for the chapter images, I like the one on the left, but the difference in image quality between the foreground and background seems jarring to me--it almost seems like two different graphics going on, with different color stories and image qualities. She's cool and dramatic and grungey in the background, but in the foreground, she's sharpened and strongly colored--I think toning down the front figure a bit so the two parts talk to each other more evenly. The one on the left has a similar problem, with a lack of cohesiveness between the foreground and background. I like the texturey drama of the background, so the very sharpened and high colored girl and text again seem jarring. If you can even the two out more, the whole graphic will be more cohesive.

I hope that helps! PM me if you have any questions!

Thank you so much for taking the time to critique my gallery. It really has helped (:

I agree with what you're saying about the CIs and blends (they are definitely not a strength of mine) and I will work to improve there.

Thanks again for your comments and I'll keep practicing (:

Hi Grace! Congrats on FA! Your graphics are absolutely gorgeous :-) I love love your first banner. The lighting is so stunning and the gold coloring looks gorgeous as well! But I think my favorite piece of yours is probably your Dany banner. The comp is so well done here and the color scheme balances out so well. It's very eye-catching and dramatic, I love it! The vibrancy and depth is amazing. ​I also love how intricate your compositions are in your signatures. You fit so many characters on, and that is so hard to do! The second one is probs my fave :-) Also shout out to your Digest header. Once again, I am a big fan of the coloring and comp. You have so many gorgeous pieces in here, you definitely deserve your month in gold! Enjoy it! Can't wait to see more from you xo

Edited by klutzy_kara