The Dark Arts
star crossed

Forever Fallen

Hi Grace!! It's been so long since I commented in here

and wow, your graphics have improved immensely! *-*

I am really really loving all your new pieces and the way

you mix stock and textures is really quite amazing.

Your banners are my favorite! Your composition skills in

general have improved so much, but I think all your

banners are just so beautiful. +This is definitely one of

my favorites, the blending is so clean and the coloring

fits really well! +This little blend looks gorgeous as well!

I'm so happy to see you back on TDA, Grace! Congrats

on FA! You really deserve it. :loves:

Hi Grace! Congrats on FA! Your graphics are absolutely gorgeous :-) I love love your first banner. The lighting is so stunning and the gold coloring looks gorgeous as well! But I think my favorite piece of yours is probably your Dany banner. The comp is so well done here and the color scheme balances out so well. It's very eye-catching and dramatic, I love it! The vibrancy and depth is amazing. ​I also love how intricate your compositions are in your signatures. You fit so many characters on, and that is so hard to do! The second one is probs my fave :-) Also shout out to your Digest header. Once again, I am a big fan of the coloring and comp. You have so many gorgeous pieces in here, you definitely deserve your month in gold! Enjoy it! Can't wait to see more from you xo

Thank you so much for taking the time to swing by (: your comments are so lovely. I have been working very hard to improve on my graphics (especially trying to mix things up with the comp) and it's so nice to hear that it's paying off (:

Again thank you so much <3

Hi Grace!! It's been so long since I commented in here

and wow, your graphics have improved immensely! *-*

I am really really loving all your new pieces and the way

you mix stock and textures is really quite amazing.

Your banners are my favorite! Your composition skills in

general have improved so much, but I think all your

banners are just so beautiful. +This is definitely one of

my favorites, the blending is so clean and the coloring

fits really well! +This little blend looks gorgeous as well!

I'm so happy to see you back on TDA, Grace! Congrats

on FA! You really deserve it. :loves:

Hi Charlotte (: thank you for coming back! to hear I have made immense improvement (especially from you) really made my day. Again composition is something I have been working on lately and I'm so happy to get feedback that I'm making progress. Textures are very new for me as I wanted to break out of my comfort zone a little and experiment with new things and it's so nice to hear that you think it's working (:

Thanks again for stopping by <33

Edited by mockingjay

hi grace! congrats on the promo! it's so insanely well-deserved. your gallery is gorgeous! i love your comp and coloring and blending and...well...everything! your banners are definitely my favorites though. also, +this is incredibly stunning (and it's a great show)! :loves: please keep making more pretties!!!

hi grace! congrats on fa and on your promo!!

everything here is so gorgeous! i love your stock use and the way you

manage to combine textures and stock is just so stunning and creative.

i especially love your first two banners – the comp and coloring and

everything about them is gorgeous, but all your banners are so lovely.

i also really like the comp in the first ci and +this is another favorite,

the text is so cool and i love the comp. once, again, congrats, grace!!

this is so well-deserved, enjoy the gold (and then your new blue)! :loves:

aw thank you both for stopping by. This has been such a huge month for me and it's so nice to hear that my you like my graphics as I have been really working at improving recently and it's paid off in ways I didn't expect. Your comments are so lovely and really brightened up my day <3

Hi Grace! Charlotte here to give you some critique. :) First of all, I just want to congratulate you on the promo and making FA. Very well-deserved. <3 Since you requested a general crit, I’ll just be going over your weak points that you’ve indicated and a few other things that I think you need to work on.

Composition

There is nothing particularly bad about your composition, but I’m definitely noticing some repetitive comp, especially in your banners and signatures. Your banners mostly have three people: one on the left, text a bit off-center, one more person beside the text, and a person in the far-right of the banner. This composition makes the focal point right in the center, mainly in +here, +here, +here, +here, and the Bellatrix sig. The same goes with the signatures. I’m really loving your signatures, but your newer ones (+1, +2, +3) look pretty similar composition-wise: one big person on the right, some textures/stocks in front, smaller person, and then text in the middle and on top of everything else. Again, the focus is smack dab in the middle, so I think the best way to avoid this is to either move all the elements a couple inches (which might be easy in the bowdown sig that I linked and the Molly banner) or to use more than 2 people in your sigs. The comp on the ‘Imagine’ sig is really great and makes the signature very balanced, and the line textures really help with that too. While the Ayden sig has a similar comp to the four I linked, the copy-merge and paste method makes the signature look more unique. Really good job on those two signatures!

Your HP CI and the Eddie Redmayne CI are absolutely brilliant. In the first CI, the placements of the characters creates these levels which I think are very interesting, and the simplicity of the latter is so gorgeous and works really well too. However, I think your other two CIs are weaker in comparison. The composition issue is a bit different in your CIs, although it applies to +this banner as well, and it’s also partly because of text placement, which I’ll go over later. In the Henry Cavill CI, you’ll notice that the eyes in the back are at the same height as the smaller guy in front, which makes the graphic look quite awkward. You don’t really know where to work. In the banner, the small model on the left is the same height is the biggest model, and this issue is even more prominent in the banner because of the distance between the two. The composition of the Priyanka Chopra CI, although it is simple like the Eddie CI, doesn’t work as well because of the placement. It looks like you just made a base and put Priyanka on top, and since you don’t have any other people, the graphic falls a bit flat. The best way to avoid issues like these is to create depth in your graphics. Layer your models, texts, and textures. You do this so well in your signatures, especially the Daenerys one. (:

This got a bit long, so just to sum it up: be careful of placing people at the same level, flat graphics, and similar comp.You probably don’t even realize the repetitive comp in your graphics and it’s completely okay, because I think that is something ever artist has struggled with, and the reason we do is because that repetitive composition is probably the easiest, so it comes naturally to us. So just try stepping out of your comfort zone and try to make graphics with just one person, or maybe five-six people, or maybe a graphic with no text. Just keep experimenting with different compositions and you’ll notice what works and what doesn’t.

Text Placement

The thing about text placement is that it plays a huge role in the focus of your graphic. In graphics, our eyes tend to go to the biggest or most attracting (the brightest, or maybe the only model in color while everyone else is b&w, etc.) model or the text first, but if these two are in opposite positions, then your focus would be pretty spread out! An example of this would be +this signature. The composition already makes the focus quite vague, and the text, instead of reinforcing the focal point between the two models, text pulls your attention to the bottom and is actually quite distracting. The text on +this and +this don’t really work either, and I don’t think the color and font for the second one are the best. In the Molly banner, while the text is pointing in one direction, the angle of Molly is in a completely different direction, which separates the focus. If you were to move the text the the right near or over her hair, then it would be pointing to Molly, thus making the focus more clear. As for the second one, I think it’s actually the composition which is making it hard for you to find the right place to put text. but the color and the font don’t work either. The scripty font doesn’t work well since you have those line textures in the back and the red color clashes with the green-cyan coloring of the model. You usually place text right in the same place and this actually has more to do with composition, so I think what I said for composition applies here too: play around with text! Don’t always put your text in the bottom-center of your graphic. You definitely have a good grasp on font choice though, so kudos to you!

Image Quality/Coloring

This is something you didn’t put in the form and I don’t really think it’s that much of an issue, but just something that you should be cautious of. Be careful of over-saturation and too much contrast in some of your graphics, resulting in pixellated, uneven, and overly shiny skin. (+1, +2, +3, +4) As for quality, the problem is that on some graphics (+1, +2, +3), the people look a bit soft and need some sharpening, but on others, the pictures of the models are just downright lq (+1, +2).I’m not familiar with sharpening settings in GIMP, but I think it’s safe to say that you could just duplicate people and sharpen them, and then play with the opacity of the sharpened layer. I’m not sure of any other methods though. If there’s an unsharp mask, use that instead of the normal sharpening. (:

Optional Clean Out

You didn’t ask for a clean out, but I think it would be a good idea to take +this iconset out. Your other two sets are much better in terms of color, composition, cuts, and texture use, plus, the hardcuts of the HP icons are a bit jagged. Teach me! I would also take out +this header because the image quality is quite low, the hardcut is rough around the edges too, and it just isn’t as up to par as the rest of your blends.

And that concludes my critique! Your style is coming along really nicely, Grace, and I think it’s incredible how much you’ve improved. Your blend section is definitely the strongest and your signatures are great too, and one thing I’d suggest is to rearrange the sections of your gallery in order of strongest pieces to the weakest. I have almost zero criticism for your blends; they’re all pretty much perfect! Don’t hesitate to PM me if you have any questions or if you’d like me to clear anything up. I hope this was helpful, and good luck with the upcoming promos :loves:

Thank you so much Charlotte (:

Your crit has been so helpful and I'll definitely work on my comp and especially the image quality.

I'm going to take your advice with the clear out as those graphics were made pre hiatus and just after I came back (super rust :P)

Thank you also for your comments about me improving. I really tried to get back into graphics these last couple of months and felt that stepping out

of my comfort zone (stock city) and trying textures for a bit. They can be hard to work with (for me anyway) and I'm going to to keep experimenting with different layers to create depth.

You are an absolute gem and again thank you so much <33

Edited by mockingjay

Hi Grace! I'm Lia :)

Just stopping by to say how much of a fantastic job I think you're doing for the past few weeks - with the promotion and being one of our FA's for the year thus far! :dance:

For me, I think you're CIs and larger graphics make up some of your best work, be it texture/stock use, composition, and colouring. I think I like your darker colouring best like in these pieces: +13reasonswhysig, +DA Digest header, and your Queen of Shades blend.

My one small suggestion, in relation to the banners would be to try different looking fonts. For all the others, I can tell a difference, but even though you might have used a different script font, for some, they tend to look very similar. Idk, I hope that makes sense.

Continue with your awesomeness! And I'm going to pop over to your Q&A, because I neeeeed to know how you did the colouring for the first 2 pieces I pointed out :)

I came to offer another congratulations on your promotion this month and boy was I not disappointed! Your gallery is absolutely stunning!