theodosia

the adults are talking.

hey Niki! congratulations on your promotion! i adore that gold and black coloring of your fanmix <3 keep making graphics and enjoy your new shade of blue :)

pf90vpt.png

katlynn, ashley, cat, kerri, & alison; thank you all sososo much! it was so sweet of you all to stop by!

also cat pls dont worry you've been forgiven!!!! t'was an honest mistake

Edited by holdtheblind.

hiiii niki, it's jade here with your critique c: you put your weaknesses as colouring, comp and text, so i'm gonna start there and see what comes up ^_^

text

i think this is the biggest weakness i'm seeing, but not in a bad way if that makes sense? i can see you're definitely improving and working on your text, so it doesn't make me think you have 0% grasp on your text - i think it just needs refining to a point where it suits the rest of your graphic, because it's obvious that you're still working on it :') the biggest issue i'm seeing is font colour, i think, where you're picking colours that are too dark or don't suit the graphic :/ on +this banner, for instance, and it's counterpart, the text blends in too much into the background with that dark blue, so it makes it hard to see the title straight away; conversely, i think you can imagine colour picking one of the lighter blues from somewhere else on the graphic and using that instead would make the text more visible whilst still making sure it stood out? as a rule of thumb, dark text on light backgrounds (or like... slightly dark. obviously black on white would look weird. +this text is A++ is what i'm saying) and light text on dark backgrounds tends to make sure the text is readable and the entire thing ties together. you have a similar issue on +this with the light grey text being the most eyecatching thing on the graphic instead of the handosme idris; you could try one of the lighter yellows from the candles, next time, so it blends the whole thing together with those warmer earthy colours? you can see the same issue +here with the dark text and dark background; sometimes, it's really easy to fall into the trap of doing that when you're picking a colour from the background (i do it all the time :| ) so in this case, usually when i have to put a stroke on something to make it readable, i switch the main text colour to the colour i would have used for the stroke - with that banner, the light green would have been a lovely text colour and the stroke could be the darker tone (so it would blend in nicely with the background but still make the text pop)

overall i think your text is definitely doing wonderfully but you just need to work on text colour more to keep things cohesive ;)

colouring

i feel like this is such a minor point but ¯\_(ツ)_/ i'm struggling to find things to critique :P for the most part, i think you have a great grasp on your colouring; like text i can see you're improving with each graphic and you're working on it so \o/ i think you have a tendency to either over or undercolour though, which.. i'm not sure why that's going on, but it means that your graphic is fluctuating a little in terms of colouring. for example, those two top banners are gorgeous in terms of colouring - although i think having the same banner twice (even with the minor changes) means you can afford to take one out, maybe that's something to post into help me choose because i honestly don't know which i prefer more - and you've really bought out the blues, etc. conversely, +this banner is more simplistic, and the background sam is darker and yellow-er than the dean at the front. honestly, matching skin tones to one another can take some time, but i think the end product is better because then the banner looks more seamless. my general method of skintone matching is by putting a curves layer only on the person (CTRL + G to group a layer down, i think) and make small edits as i add more to my graphic; in this case, you could put one on background sam to make him brighter and redder, and one on foreground dean to make him a little more yellow to match them up. if you start colouring and it affects them wildly differently, then you can always go back to your curves layers and edit as needed ;) that's not really a foolproof method but i do think it could help with your graphics if you match up skin tones. you have a similar issue +here where dean thomas is more yellow than seamus (although it's not as prevalent in the top banner, probably because that one is more desaturated?).

overall i think your colouring is great - i think you can definitely benefit from experimenting with it more because you have the basics down in terms of contrast, etc- and you just need to tweak skin tones to match more across the graphic c:

composition

honestly for the most part your composition is pretty gr9; you clearly know where you want people to look and i'm not screaming over cut off chin or anything :| i do think your composition needs some refining but, along the lines of text, i think that it just comes from practice and looking for the little things. i think your CI + sig in here have great composition, although they're both a little simplistic, so if you wanted to bolster your gallery it might be worthwhile to make a few more ;) in terms of your banners, my main issue is that the text in both of them is affecting your composition a lil; text is easy in composition if you think about it like another block that you have to put down instead of that-thing-that-never-goes-right. in +this banner, you have dean looking directly at the text (v good), but it's wider than dean-and-sam combined, which splits your focal point between dean and the text; in this case, you could make the text smaller or you could place it a few more pixels to the right and behind dean so it looks like it's coming out from behind him, drawing attention to him without losing the text \o/ and in +these banners, i think the issue is that everyone is looking off in one direction and your text is on the other; combined with the dark colour, it means that the text isn't noticed at all : ( in this case, you could either try flipping one or both of the guys to look at the text orrr move to text to the other side- that's something that's a little more intuitive, you might experiment and see what you like about each placement. for the most part, when figuring out text, it's pretty worthwhile to have the text in the same direction as someone's eyeline to help you get a feel for the composition and where people are gonna look when they look at your graphic- you can break rules ofc but sometimes it's nice to keep it simple

overall i think your biggest composition issue is just in terms of minor text placement; you have great composition and you can afford to mess around with it :'D

overall

i think you have a super strong gallery rn- you know how your graphics are going to work and you have most of the technical skills down, they just need a bit of tweaking (but who doesn't need to tweak their stuff sometimes :| ) so focus on working with text colour and, honestly, making more for your gallery- it's very strong and i love how your style is turning out but there's not enough in here to make a proper judgement in your graphics because some of this stuff is from your pre-senior days i think : ( but yeah, you're doing wonderfully so just focus on refining skills and your style will come naturally \o/

if you want me to do a second crit or you'd like to discuss anything or ask questions or whatever, feel free to shoot me a pm or profile comment and i'll totes get back to you c:

Hi Niki!

I really like the layout of your gallery! I like the background you've used to put your graphics on. I think it helps really make my eyes appreciate the colors and contrast more. It's a truly unique layout.

Your banners are great. I like that you show a range of what you're able to compose. The softest one, a sort of softer - but different images used one, and then bam! a bolder one. I also like the font choices in each of them.

Your Chapter Image is wonderfully composed. I like the hard cuts and the way that you use two images of Chris Pine rather than one. It feels fuller because of it.

Your signature is bold and I really feel that it is the best graphic you have in your gallery. Everything works in it and your choice of actor really makes it pop that much more. He's a strong guy featured in a bold signature and that equals awesome to me.

The Miscellaneous section is nice because I can see more of your light v. dark graphics here!

Keep up the spectacular work! :)

lroN20a.gif

Hi Niki!

Just swinging through to leave you a bit of gallery love for the holidays.

The layout of your gallery is so cool. I haven’t quite figured out how to create one of those yet, but I love that yours is simple and sleek. Going with mostly black and white really keeps the focus on your lovely graphics.

One of my favorite of your graphics is your Roman signature. I love the texture use and coloring. I also love big, bold, funky fonts, so I think the text looks really cool. The whole thing is just really pretty.

And OMG! THERE’S A DEAN/SEAMUS BANNER IN HERE! :wub: My OTP babies! <3 I’m so excited about that!

Wishing you happy holidays and a new year full of surprises and fun! :hug:

~Kaitlin

Hello!

Since you popped in and visited my gallery I thought I might return the favour, and I'm so glad I did. Everything in here is gorgeous. I really really love your chapter images and icons. I think you did a really great job with the stock use and textures - they are simple, but stunning! A perfect example of less being more.

Can't wait to see what you do next.

And welcome back :)

It looks like your gallery hasn't been updated in over 6 months and is scheduled for graveyarding in March 2021! If you'd like it moved back, please remember to update your gallery and post here+

Hi. I dedicided to return the visit. Everything  is super pretty here, I love the softness  in your colourings and your graphics, especially in your header and banners, which ate the bane of my life. And icons. Well, back to you.  Your comps  are super pretty.

I also took notes on the way you made your text. ;) I am a fan ( and congrats for the promo!)

On 8/10/2020 at 4:39 PM, JadedWraith said:

Hi. I dedicided to return the visit. Everything  is super pretty here, I love the softness  in your colourings and your graphics, especially in your header and banners, which ate the bane of my life. And icons. Well, back to you.  Your comps  are super pretty.

I also took notes on the way you made your text. ;) I am a fan ( and congrats for the promo!)

awhh thank you sm!!! i'm glad u like my colouring—it's something i've always struggled with, and i only just found a style i'm happy with :] thank you for stopping by!!! much love <333