manipulations.

3KHyMf.png

colorizations.

30qopY.png

6rsr5NR.png

Edited by aurevoir

hi cassie!! :D:dumbles:

welcome back to TDA ^_^

i'm loving everything you have in here :loves: but my favourite is definitely the dramione poster thingie :wub: the colouring on that is amazing!!

Oooh, Welcome Back! You inspired me so when I was new to graphics, and I'm glad to have you back on board. Everything in here is awesome. I love your seamless animation and I think my favorite graphic is this signature+

I'm really looking forward to seeing more from you and feel free to PM should you want/need anything. :)

Everything in this is so great! I love your coloring and the dramione poster is hilarious (I never read those lines, either :D)

Most of all I really like your banners and your current sig!

Welcome back!! :hug:

Reserving this babes xx will come back tomorrow morning and edit as it 3am here!

But on a quick note everything in here looks amazing and i missed seeing you develop your style! :(

Your blending skills are great!! Congrats on the recent promotion! It's so nice to see people move up in ranks. Welcome back to TDA, also! Your grasp on chapter images is beyond awe-inspiring to me. I love the composition of them. You have such a nice cohesive style. I can't wait to see more of your work!

Hello, Cassie! I'm here with your comment for BBLB of course, but I'd be lying if I said that this was the first time I've popped into your gallery—I'm here at least on a weekly basis, usually after being completely blown away by something you posted in the PYLC thread. :loves: I have always been an admirer of the way you're able to filter your graphics, and I'm so grateful that I get to be your buddy this cycle because maybe you'll be able to instill some ~words of filtering wisdom~ on me? If I could filter at least half as well as you could that'd be a major improvement. :P My favourite things in your gallery are your +header, +this blend, +this blend, and +this sig that you made for me of course, although I have to say I'm also a huge fan of all the Taylor graphics in here, especially those two sigs. :loves: Your colouring is flawless (I'm especially partial to all the purple/pink graphics in here), and your animations are flawless. :queen: Anyway, continue being the wonderful you that you are, and here's to many more TSwift/Ed Sheeran/Dramione/Riverdale/Nancy Drew graphics and discussions!

hey cassie, i'm here with some crit! Sorry this is late - I've been pretty busy for a while, but I'm here now! So for this crit, I'm going to highlight the repetitive themes I'm seeing in composition and text and suggest how you could change it. You also asked for a cleanout, so I'll do that too!

​COMPOSITION:

​Immediately, I'm noticing a pattern in your placement. Your composition is indeed quite strong, but it's predictable. In your banners you tend to place your focal point on the right hand side, in your signatures you put your focal point centre left or centre right, and in your chapter images your focal point is normally in the centre. All these are lovely, but it's important that you mix your compositions up a bit - in order to move through the ranks, admins like to see a bit of versatility. In order to avoid getting comfortable, before I make a graphic I actually look at my gallery and look at the patterns. Those last three banners have a focal point to the left...okay time to move things over to the right. I've got four three person banners? Time to make a one person banner - or a five person banner? It's helpful to be very critical of your own work...you're very good with composition so it's time to show us all that you can do and push the boundaries! With your chapter images, put the focal point in the middle rather than down at the bottom. Experiment with placement, or maybe even make text the focal point? The possibilities are endless ^_^

TEXT:

​Right now I'm noticing a lot of the same fonts being used. If not the same fonts, they're either of the same family - or very similar style. The text in your signatures is probably at its strongest. There's a variety of different fonts, the colours are right and the placement is good. The only problem is, all the text is placed in the exact same position in every signature. As well you seem to put blocks of colour behind the quote to make it more readable. This is something you should do now and again, not in the majority of your graphics in your gallery. Sometimes pre installed, simple fonts can work best, especially in minimalist graphics, or if a graphic is a little too heavy. So in this++ (left CI) the filtering and animation has made the graphic quite heavy. So the text on top, separate to the focal point, doesn't really work. Finally, make sure that your text doesn't outshine the focal point. In this++ the focal point should be the beast, but with the bright yellow text being the same size as him - it conflicts and the eye doesn't know where to look first. The text should be smaller, and you should use a colour from the actual graphic - to make it cohesive with the rest of the piece, and avoiding it standing out unnecessarily.

​CLEANOUT:

​banners - x text and focal point are conflicting, and the girl's head is cut awkwardly, x there's too much in one place so there's no real focal point, and the yellow bars behind the text doesn't really work

icons - x these are the weakest icons in your gallery, while I like the cohesive colour scheme, the blues are a little too intense

chapter images - x the one on the left for reasons mentioned above, and the one on the right is a little too simplistic with its stock use and composition, and the fonts choice doesn't really match the piece overall.

and that's it! I'm sorry if this is a little short, and may not make sense (i'm full of cold and my brain's a little addled) so if you need any clarification on anything PM me and I'll clear everything up when I'm 100%. I hope this wasn't too harsh and that it was somewhat helpful. :)

Bex

Hi Cassie!

Wow your graphics are absolutely gorgeous! I love how they're all so different. You're not afraid to experiment with different compositions or colourings, and that variety really shows :) Keep up the amazing work, I hope to see you promoted soon!

niika <3

congrats on your promotion!!!

I've been loving all your graphics recently, your style has come so far!

I can't wait to see more of your stuff, especially your signatures - they're my favourite pieces in your gallery atm :wub: :wub:

enjoy your new shade of blue!

Bex

Hi Cassie!

OHMYGOSH THOSE COLOURISATIONS :drop: :drop: Seriously those are completely breathtakingly amazing O_O And I absolutely love your negative spacing in your graphics too - the level of detail you manage to put in is lovely! And this has to be my favourite piece in your gallery yet...I can't get over squealing at how gorgeous the colouring on it is too <3

Please keep them pretties coming! :eat:

Shona

I love the colouring, the delicate details and the Storytelling. It's a joy and an inspiration to look at your gallery!

• Like 1

4AK7VSp.png

Hi, I’m here with your spring critique.

Can I just start by saying that your stock use and blending skills are amazing. I am in awe.

Text

I have noticed that in the majority of your graphics they have a lot of text on them especially +here, +here and +here. Sometimes less can be more. An odd saying, I know but honestly it is true, like quality over quantity. Quite often when making graphics you want to keep the text simple and to a minimum. Now I am not saying that a lot of text is bad as more often than not it can work. I’m just saying that maybe you could try changing it up every now and again.

Another point I have noticed with your text is that sometimes it is hard to read and gets lost within the graphic for example: +here and +here (top and bottom banners). The best way to overcome this is to remember: dark area on a graphic = light coloured text and vice versa. Where ever you place the text it should always be readable but also feel cohesive with your graphic, not stick out like a sore thumb. Instead of always adding a drop shadow to the text you could always try creating a new layer and placing a dark or light brush behind it and lowering the opacity. You have a good grasp of selecting colours within your graphics for the text but for some I would suggest playing around with colours to see what works best for the graphic. For example with +this graphic the bright green sub text really stands out and catches your eye away from the focal point, whereas the brown subtext sort of disappears which means that it may have been better as a darker colour.

Font variety is another issue to tackle. Some of the fonts you have used within your graphics look rather similar and create a sense of repetition. I’d suggest trying to get out of your comfort zone and try something new. Check out the Name that Font threads on TDA or search +dafont for new fonts. You never know it could spark some inspiration. My biggest tips for fonts would be to remember that: serif fonts like times new roman are best suited to dark, angsty graphics because they look more traditional and serif fonts such as arial and calibri look more modern and therefore suit more bright, happy graphics. Similar to what this +tutorial describes (as well as delving into various text styles and how the text can work in comp). I’d highly recommend looking at it to get some tips.

I’ve also noticed that your subtext seems to be competing with the size of the main text. For my subtext I always try to have it 8pt or lower and the main text is always around 30pt and higher. I find this helps to great a clear definition between the two as well as enhancing your focal point.

Variety in Comp

Variety in comp is something that every artist will struggle with regardless of their rank. I will admit that I’m stuck in a similar rut too and am trying to get out of it. So, there will have been people in the same boat as you. I’ll share some of the tips I have learnt to help beat the rut.

Tip 1: Read +this tutorial. This tutorial has helped me understand there are lots of different ways to change up your graphics without having to compromise on the way everything in a graphic works together. Vary how your models are posing – do not have all the models facing forwards as it makes the graphic look flat – find some interesting poses and use them. Don’t be afraid to experiment.

Tip 2: Vary your focal point. There are two ways to overcome this: 1) look at all your existing graphics and work out where you have not yet had a focal point. By breaking the tradition of having the focal point in the middle of your graphics (a common theme with yours), you could try placing it further to the left or right. 2) use the golden spiral, something which is explained in the tutorial above in tip 1.

Tip 3: Use new models. One thing I have noticed is that you have used a lot of the same models such as Emma Watson, Tom Felton and Taylor Swift. It is starting to make your graphics look a bit repetitive. Using new models can spark inspiration and creativity. I would suggest spending some time trying to find new images of other actresses, actors, singers and models. There are some great accounts on deviantart that make pngs and HQ image packs such as +here, +here, +here and +here.

Tip 4: Be creative with how you integrate the models into your graphics. Again, look at the tutorial in tip 1. Place a model upside down with only part of their face showing – do something similar with them the right way up. Use brushes to blend them into the graphic especially if you want to keep the background for an interesting comp. Experiment and be creative.

Tip 5: Use textures. Your stock use is incredible but it would not hurt to try something new. Get those creative juices flowing as well as getting you out of your comfort zone. Make a graphic that is half stock and half textures. Or even create a whole graphic just using textures with no stock in sight. Deviantart again has some amazing accounts for textures. My fave two are: +cypher-s and +ErenaeErae.

Image/Overall Quality

This is not overly a big problem but it is a factor. I have noticed that in some of your graphics the image quality is not as clear and as sharp as it could be such as +here (the top banner), +here, and +here. This could be down to the images not being HQ in the first place or certain parts of your colourings are changing the quality and making the images seem pixelated. To resolve this, I would suggest going through your colouring steps and finding the parts which are lowering the quality. Therefore, improving the overall quality of your graphics.

Spring Clean

After all the points I have discussed above I would suggest doing a complete revamp of your chapter images and blends sections as I feel they are a much weaker area than your banners and signatures.

+this - the text does not work with the overall feel of the graphic and sticks out a lot.

+this - the large tom and emma are competing for the focal point and it is not on the same par as your other banners.

Mini Challenge

I thought I would give you a mini challenge, completely optional, to get you doing something out of your comfort zone. I would like you to make a CI which has 3+ people on (using new models – none of the same you currently have in your gallery), a completely new font (no script/cursive fonts), the mood has to be bright and happy, and I want you to use a combination of both stock and textures. I want you to get creative with the comp. Feel free to PM me with the graphic to get some feedback if you do it.

If you have any questions regarding anything mentioned in this critique then feel free to PM me.

Gaby

• Like 1

Oh my goodness! Your graphics are so frikking amazing! I've been randomly opening galleries for the past 10 minutes and yours just made me stop and stare for 2 minutes straight! Everything, and I mean everything, is so beautiful. I can't stop admiring your banners and photo manipulations. How do you do it? I hope you have your graphic tutorials here because I've so much to learn and I'm betting I'd get 99% of that knowledge just from you alone.

• Like 1

aw, thanks @jusanamateur - I don't think I have any tutorials posted, but feel free to shoot me a message any time you have a question!

Hi Cassie! I’m beyond fashionably late, I’m so sorry about how long it’s taken for me to write this for you! As requested, I’m going to talk about how you could change things up a bit - and text. These are two of the most common problems, text is the bane of my existence and versatility takes a conscious effort on my part - I completely understand. With all that in mind, let’s jump into the critique! 

Mixing Things Up 

This section is going to be heavily based on your banners because from what I could see, this section seemed the most repetitive. Your signatures and CIs are really versatile, you’ve got different colouring and composition choices - the text in all of them is really strong and different too. 

So, recently I wrote a guide to versatility, which might be useful to you. I’ll leave a link here, if you fancy a read. It talks about how to recognise when you’re being repetitive and the steps you can take to avoid this in the future. That tutorial is quite general, so I’m going to throw in a few extra tips and tricks suited to you personally. 

Firstly, line up your banners and see if you can spot any patterns. This helps identify any repeat placements, i.e text/people/focal points. For example in your continuous banners+ I’ve noticed all the text has gone on the left side. Banners 1, 3, and 4 are very similar in that you place your focal points centre-left. Banners 1, 2, 4 are similar as you have a secondary model placed behind the focal point. There’s nothing wrong with any of these decisions, in fact banners 2 and 3 are probably my favourite pieces in your entire gallery. However, once I actively started looking for similarities that went beyond your style, your habits were easy to find. The reason we do this is because we know that these compositions and placements make a successful graphic. One way to change your composition without doing much, is by flipping your canvas halfway through the process, and then carrying on. It changes perspective and moves everything to the other side. Another suggestion would be to start making ‘extreme’ comp choices, it sounds a lot wilder than it actually is. So, you could have your focal point on the far left/right of your graphic, or they could be upside down. There’s lots of creative choices you can make that might feel like we’re breaking the rules - but they’re there to be broken in my opinion! 

Across your gallery, I’ve noticed that you use warm colours, particularly browns. Some of your best graphics are dark and angsty, like this banner+ here is my absolute favourite. However if you want a challenge to break out of your comfort zone I’m going to suggest that you try making a banner that is really bright, think of using pinks/blues/reds - and make it entirely texture based! 

Text 

When I place text, I want it to be cohesive and readable. I’m going to show you some examples where you do that really well. This banner ( I am obsessed with this banner) and these x x x  are all well executed and because of the text, I think they're the best pieces in your gallery. 

One thing I’ve noticed with your text is that it seems to be its own separate focal point. That does work, for example in your sacred twenty eight sig, you’ve incorporated the text into the signature by putting it behind a model and blended it all into the graphic really well. 

In this banner, it’s a bit more confusing. Initially my eyes are drawn to Fred and then the animation as he’s looking in that direction. However, the text is a lot brighter than the rest of the graphic, and is quite big. It takes up that entire right quarter of the banner. I would have moved it a bit lower down, a little further into the animation, and made it smaller. The banner seems quite angsty, and the text is very bright and contradicts the overall tone you’ve set. A different font choice, maybe something a bit less intense than “a theme for murder” (It’s my go-to angsty font choice) but with that sort of vibe. 

Choosing the colour of text is also important. I tend to pick a colour from the graphic, which normally works. I would advise against picking a colour from the banner and then putting the text on top of that colour, which is what you’ve done here. Recently, I’ve started picking a secondary colour from a graphic, so say if it was predominantly green with hints of yellow, I would make the text pale yellow and put it over a patch of dark green. In your banner, I would have maybe picked the blue from the flowers on the left hand side. 

Lastly, I just want to touch upon readability. In these banners, the text is a little bit difficult to read. I’ve seen you use drop shadows a couple of times which is a really good remedy for that. Another option would be to set a gradient (or use a fluffy brush, whichever you prefer) behind the text (opacity anywhere from 15-50%) of one colour that fits the banner but is the opposite colour of the text. They just need something to make them a bit more readable. In the “only the young” it’s another case of green being on top of green, and "lost in the lights" is blue on top of blue. 

Overall 

To wrap up, my advice to you as a fellow stock user would be that less is more. It’s really difficult using stock because sometimes you want to pack it with as much as possible. There’s books, candles, church stock, greenery, different flowers, different arch ways etc etc - I always feel like there is never enough space on a canvas. Stock alone can sometimes be overbearing and too much, but then with models, and text - we really do have a challenge in making our canvases look spacious. 

I love your work, your animation is always killer - and you have mastered an angsty vibe that I could only dream of. As staff artists we constantly find ourselves looking for a new challenge, and I hope this critique has given you a few new ideas to try! 

Feel free to PM me with any questions or any graphics if you need to! 

Bex

• Like 1