The Dark Arts

TDA shutting down

Hello everyone!

It is with a heavy heart that the admins of TDA have decided it was time to let this website go. For so many years it has been part of so many people’s lives, but the reality is, the interest in TDA has been declining for years. We did the best we could to keep it going since taking over, but we feel like the resources that go into keeping the website alive with such a low activity are not proportional. 

As many of you already have, TDA is also moving on. 

TDA will be going offline on November 30, 2021. Until then, you’re welcome to save your old graphics and such. Posting abilities, however, have been turned off for most of the board, so no new content will be created. 

We want to thank everyone we got to know through TDA, and those we never met, for being part of this community for so many years. 

Thank you to all the previous staff and people who helped build TDA and keep it afloat.    

Lola. and hamylton. 

update: we are having a farewell party, go here for more info:)

• Like 7

:[ I loved this site even while I was not active. I've met so many wonderful people and learned a ton. ❤️ Thank you to all the mods and admins for keeping it alive as long as you could. I'm gonna miss this place ❤️

• Like 4

I'm so sad to hear this, the site has had a wonderful run and rediscovering my love for it over the past year has really helped to make the pandemic feel a bit less daunting, but I completely understand the amount of time and effort it must take to maintain a site like this 💖 Wishing all the admins (and artists) the best of luck going forward!

• Like 4

even though I was never a super active member, tda has always been home because of the amazing members and staff who made it feel so. and while I'm saddened to hear about it closing, I shall always look back on my time spent here fondly.  thank you to all the wonderful people who made this site what it was and I do wish everyone the best going forward.

• Like 4

So so sad to see TDA closing its doors 😞 Would not be where I am without all the lovely members and staff here.

Thank you so much for all the hard work you've all put in over the years ❤️

All the best to everyone in their graphic making endeavours ❤️ 

• Like 4

Thank you to the admins for everything you have done over the years (past and present) and thank you for all the opportunities to help out around the forum such as being a digest manager and a staff moderator.

TDA has been a huge part of my adult life. Whilst it is sad it is closing I will look fondly on all the friends I've made and how far I have come on my graphic making journey.

I wish everyone the best of luck wherever their life or graphic making endeavors lead them.

• Like 4

This is so sad to hear. I remember first joining TDA nearly a decade ago and being in absolute awe of just how talented the artists here are. I've lurked occasionally over the years, only really becoming an active poster in the past year, but I've learned so much and gained so much confidence as an artist in that short period of time. I only wish I'd made a gallery sooner.

Thank you so much to the staff and members who have kept this place alive over the years. I'll definitely miss this place ❤️

• Like 4

It's been a long while since I've made a graphic or even been active on tda, but it's still so sad to hear that it's closing down 😞 I feel like this site has seen me grow up in a way, and I know I wouldn't be the person I am today without it. So thankful for all the members and staff who've kept the site alive for all these years, you all are fantastic ❤️ Wishing everyone the best of luck — I hope you all continue to create wonderful things moving forward!

• Like 5

even though i haven't been active in many years, tda was such a big part of my graphics learning experience when i first started making graphics in 2006. and it was also the first resource site i'd ever staffed on. even if i haven't made any graphics or contributed in years, i still loved checking in on tda to see how the site was. i'm gonna miss this place a lot! thank you to the current and former staff for creating such an amazing place! 💗

• Like 4

thank you for everyone here. you introduced me to graphics, and made me more comfortable learning new programs. and asking for help <3 feels a bit like some of my childhood is going away. with love, blackballet/lady.luck/if/then/catherine

• Like 4

TDA has been such a formative part of the last ten years of my life, both by introducing me to graphics and fostering that hobby and being a way for me to make friends, find other communities and just generally be somewhere to look at other people's art and celebrate creativity. I'm sad to see it go but I'm grateful for how long it went on for ❤️ thank you guys so much for all your hard work and for everyone who made it possible to stay open this long!! I'll miss you all so much ❤️ 

• Like 4

I joined this website more than a decade ago, and while I have not been active in the past few years, it's definitely been an amazing community that led me to some great friendships and helped me improve my skills ❤️ thank you for all you've done to keep this website alive until now. 

Edited by invidia
  • Like 4

I joined this site in 2009 definitely way too young to be online but I am so glad that I got to be a part of it. Thank you all so much for your time and dedication. 

• Like 4

I haven’t been active here since I retired as an admin, but I’ve been lurking on occasion to see how TDA was doing - it was always nice to see it continued to live on!  This is an end of an era, even if I personally left quite a while ago.  

I learnt a lot of life lessons on this site, and made a few friends who I’ve still kept contact with more than a decade later.  Thank you to the admins who have kept it going, you’ve kept this little haven alive. 

And to anyone who was around when I was - thank you, as you probably had some kind of positive impact on me, whether it be working side by side as a mod, or being utterly inspired by your graphics :wub: I remember many of the names above, and it’s really nice to see you’ve stuck around! 

Edited by tea cup
  • Like 5

thank you again to the admins and mods who put so much into this site. tda has been a part of my life for so long, and i used to spend hours and hours on here tallying up requests and challenges for the da digest, and just admiring and learning from all the other incredible artists here. it's been quite sad to see the site decline over the past couple of years and as much as i've tried to be as active as possible, i know i could've done more 😞 

graphic making is a skill i absolutely cherish having, and i feel so lucky to have been a part of tda and for it helping me to develop and grow creatively. i'll never forget the experiences and the people i've met here!

and special thanks to mon, amy and gaby for keeping the site alive for as long as they have. i really appreciate you all :wub: 

• Like 5

thanks to everyone who has kept this site going for as long as they have after i stepped away as admin and graphic's creator in general. it was nice to be back for a while and talk to people again and TDA used to be a big part of my life as a teen so i'm sad to see it go. it did have a very long run, however!! hopefully we can still meet elsewhere. 

• Like 4

I still remember when I first started coming here to request graphics for my stories at HPFF back in 2008 and when I first started making them in 2009, I was very proud of the graphics I made at the time...:blush: boy was I oblivious to how they sucked, until I started improving! It took me years to get promoted and when it happened (being the first to get promoted twice in a row through MC), it was the greatest feeling ever, thanks to this amazing community!

It always felt like my happy place here and I know that I'm not as active as I used to be, but one thing for sure... I will always remember this website fondly and those that I talked with and also those that didn't, but made this website as amazing as it is...

Again, thank you so much to everyone and for also teaching me how to make graphics here and for being an awesome community/family here...:glomp::dumbles:

• Like 4